Donetsk, Sep 15 – DAN. The announcement of verdict in Odessa tragedy case has been postponed till September 18, Odessa human rights advocate Kirill Shevchuk told DAN.
"According to preliminary information, the verdict announcement, scheduled for today, has been postponed till September 18," the lawyer said.
Shevchuk assumed the decision might have been taken in connection with the prolongation (expiring today, September 15) of the documents on keeping suspects under custody.
"The announcement date is subject to change, and the announcement will take two or three more days."
On May 2, 2014 activists of the Pravyi Sector (Right Sector, a far-right Ukrainian nationalist political and paramilitary group of neofascist ideology) and the so-called Maidan Self-Defense burnt down camp of Anti-Maidan demonstrators outside the Trade Unions House, an Odessa landmark located on Kulikovo Field in the city center, where Odessa residents were collecting signatures for a referendum on Ukraine federalization.
As the skirmishes broke out Anti-Maidan supporters took shelter in the Trade Unions House, which radicals surrounded and set on fire.
According to various sources, from 40 to 200 people died in the massacre, some from carbon monoxide poisoning, and others after leaping from windows to escape the flames, over 200 people were injured.
The perpetrators were never punished, while those affected found themselves on the wrong side of the bar. About 20 people are in custody suspected of organizing the incident, including Russia citizens.
The case has been reviewed by several courts passing the case further on under various pretexts. The court of Chernomorsk (previously known as Ilyichevsk) is to announce the verdict. *ot