Donetsk, May 2 - DAN. The 2 May 2014 Odessa tragedy case is still under investigation with little chance that it will ever be completed,” Odessa-based rights activist Kirill Shevchuk told Donetsk News Agency on Tuesday.

“The case over the Kulikovo Pole events is still being investigated,” Shevchuk said. “No charges have been brought; the case has made no headway beyond empty promises. I see no prospects for the investigation.”

Much evidence has been destroyed and whatever was gathered and recorded has been lost. To conceal true facts and evidence, repairs were hastily commenced at the Trade Unions House; its walls are newly-painted, he said.

In view of these facts, there is little chance that case would be fully investigated, he said.

The rights activist said the criminal case over Grecheskaya Square events had been filed in connection with the Odessa tragedy. “It is under review in court, the evidence is being examined. The case prospects are gloomy too,” Shevchuk said.

He said provocations could be expected from radical nationalists on Tuesday. Special task force units have been deployed in city streets to watch public order together with the police.

Meanwhile, Odessa residents have been bringing flowers to Kulikovo field in memory of the victims of the tragedy. Donetsk is expected to hold a number of memorial events.

On 2 May 2014, activists of the Right Sector extremist organization of neo-fascist ideology together with so-called Maidan Self-Defence activists burnt down a tent camp in Kulikovo Pole square where signature collection was underway in support of the referendum on federalization of Ukraine and official status of the Russian language.

The supporters of federalization and anti-Maidan movement took shelter in the Trade Unions House but radicals encircled the building and torched it. The tragedy left 48 people dead and more than 200 injured, according to police.

The culprits were never punished, while the injured parties found themselves in the prisoner’s dock.*jk